Columbus was opened in 1907 at the North corner of Winter St. NE and O Streets between Hoover and Delano Streets NE. Due to declining enrollment the building was closed in 1927. A rented portable building opened at Talmage and 26th Avenues S.E. in 1927. It remained open until 1931 when it was also closed. The main building was demolished in 1936 and the site was sold in 1942.
The building was named after Christopher Columbus, discoverer of America. Birthday not known but it is celebrated on Columbus Day, October 12th.
© 2013 Minneapolis Public Schools – Special School District No.1
1250 W Broadway Ave Minneapolis, MN 55411-2533
Phone no: 612.668.0000 MpsHistory@mpls.k12.mn.us